Skip to main content

Density issues in the modern workplace

Is it crowded in your office?  Maybe not: you have a nice roomy cubicle, as do your fellow coworkers.  You’ve tacked up some family photos and put a little potted plant off to the side so you can commune with nature in your home-away-from-home.  But how many of those cubes are on that floor?  Or in the building for that matter?

See, you and technology might not agree on what “crowded” means. If you like your wireless gadgets, and goodness knows I like mine, you’re talking on a headset that lets you wander the room, or even the building.  You can get a cup of coffee, stretch your legs, or walk to the window to look outside, all while seamlessly continuing your phone call.  This brings us back, however, to all those other cubes and their residents – Bluetooth frequency can only support so many calls at once, especially when roaming, before you get static or even dropped calls.  Furthermore, while Bluetooth and Wi-Fi have different protocols, they share the same 2.4GHz spectrum, and so are combining to crowd your airwaves.  It’s also important to note that streaming audio or media over Bluetooth uses 2.5 times more spectrum than voice communications. Even microwave ovens and lighting systems emit radio frequency energy that can impact your wireless communications.  The shape, layout, and materials used in a building can also affect the optimization of your wireless connections.

Plantronics offers several solutions to the problem of density:
  • ·         Wireless headsets that can be set to either broadband, which will allow you to wander, or narrow band, which will limit your range but will free up airspace for your co-workers (see Plantronics HUB and Plantronics Manager Pro).
  • ·         The CS500-XD series headsets, which operate on 900MHz frequency, providing three times the number of available channels, allowing you to deploy more wireless headsets in a specified space.
  • ·         Savi headset systems with adaptive technology that automatically adjust their transmitting power depending on how close the headset is to the base, leaving room for others (and as a bonus, conserving battery life).
  • ·         DECT technology, which not only operates on a 1.9GHz frequency, thereby decreasing density issues, but also adds an industry-standard level of security to your communications.
  • ·         An in-depth density evaluation, which Plantronics can provide free of charge, to customize a plan that will address your business’ density needs.



So whether or not your office is crowded, your technology might be.  The quality of your communications is crucial to your business relationships. Don’t let density issues negatively impact those connections.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have a confession to make:  I was never particularly into the quality of sound.  My oldest brother would get into my car and he would almost immediately make a scrunchy face and fiddle with the radio.  Then he would look at me triumphantly.  “There!  Isn’t that better?” He would ask, although it wasn’t a question; it was a declaration of success.  I would agree enthusiastically, although, truth be told, even if I noticed, I didn’t really care. That’s what I mean – it never mattered to me.  It didn’t matter to me to the point that I didn’t even notice.  The melody of music?  Sure.  The poetry?  Heck yeah.  Does it have a good beat and I can dance to it?  Awesome.  But the highs, the bass, the reverb?  Whatever.  A little static?  Who cares?  Quality wasn’t on my mind. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good gadget – laptop, tablet, fitness watch, smart phone – woohoo!  These modern toys are as exciting to play with as a new Barbie doll used to be.  But I was perfectly content t

How I Focus

I recently read about a self-help guru trying to quiet his mind enough to find sleep and it got me thinking about my own train of thought, which goes something like this:  I need to pull yesterday’s numbers so I can update that spreadsheet.  What happened yesterday?  The kids had a snow day.  Did John remember his lunch this morning?  What do I need at the grocery store? What’s going on this weekend?  How many days left until my birthday?  Ugh, so old!  I’m going to check LinkedIn and Twitter to do some research, find inspiration, write an article.  Why am I so tired? Focusing is hard! The open office environment that so encourages collaboration and team-building also creates intrusive ambient noise.  If you’re anything like me, this is disruptively distracting.  The technology we’re surrounded by and actively embrace forces multi-tasking in everything we do, not just at work.  We check email while watching TV, make phone calls while driving, consult Google in the middle of di

18,250 Days Old

 For years, I thought I would lose it on this day.  That I would crawl under a rock, curl up in a ball, and sob pathetically while contemplating my imminent mortality and current irrelevance.  It’s an option.  But I chose a different one. Today I turn 50, and I’ve spent the last year thinking about how I can be a better person, what it would take to achieve those goals, and working hard to get there. One year after I made that decision, I am so proud of myself and can honestly say I’m a happier person than I was a year ago. I joined a gym, got strong (relatively), changed my diet, and lost weight. I visited my family on the other side of the country (an expensive trip that I didn’t think I could afford). I found a new job that is rewarding, challenging, makes me feel like I make a valuable contribution, and gives me back an important piece of my life that I haven’t had in a long time.  Most importantly, I opened myself up to new experiences.  I stopped telling myself