Skip to main content

How to Navigate A Casual Dress Code

In my first office job, women were required to wear skirts or dresses, preferably with high heels.  No pants allowed, hosiery mandatory, flats frowned upon.  Yes, I wore oversized blazers that had shoulder pads augmented by shoulder pads, with shiny blouses and long skirts. On my break, I switched my tasteful pumps for Reebok high tops for a quick power walk.  I will also confess, just between friends, to a big floppy bow tying back my poufy hair.  See that outfit on the left?  I had one almost exactly like it. 

Many years later (and I think you can do the math based on the outfit), I sit at my desk in jeans, a t-shirt, a sweater and boots.  My feet don’t hurt, there are no pantyhose to run (back in those days, I always kept an extra pair in my desk for emergencies), and I don’t have dry cleaning bills to worry about.  I think I look OK.  Although I am dressed casually, my outfit is color-coordinated and (I hope) stylish.  And, actually, I don’t wear jeans that often in the office.  I’m more likely to be in slacks, the occasional dress or skirt, and even a blazer once in a blue moon (sans shoulder pads, of course). 

The benefit of a casual dress code is that I get to choose, within reason, how I express myself, my style, and my attitude toward work.  It also serves as an indication to employees that they are valued as individuals, and that the company is more interested in results than formalities.  The casual approach also lowers the barriers between management and staff, encouraging better communication and collaboration.  And of course, t-shirts are less expensive than suits and dresses, not to mention those dry cleaning bills.

As more companies embrace mobility, remote work, and open office spaces, strictly proscribing how employees dress just doesn’t make sense.  However, the sad, but valid, downside to a flexible dress code is that it’s so open to interpretation.  It’s an age old truism (that I’m coining right this very minute) that not everyone’s judgement can be trusted on this topic.  We all think we have good taste, but, to be blunt:  we don’t.  So employers will likely find that they are forced to outline what is allowed and what is unacceptable.

It can be frustrating for management, especially HR.  It’s tough to define what business casual entails, and even harder to enforce.  When one person comes in every day wearing sneakers, even though they’re expressly forbidden by the dress code, is that a battle worth fighting?  Let’s say this sneaker-wearing employee is fabulous at her job, never late, and always has a great attitude.  Her footwear becomes even less important, although letting it go sets a precedent.    

The important thing to remember is that your appearance is a quick summary of how you want to be perceived, and in spite of the old cliché about books and covers, we absolutely judge people based on their exteriors.  What you wear to work is a reflection of how much respect you have for your job.  I want my appearance to say that I take my job, my co-workers, my customers, and my boss seriously. While you want your clothes to express your personality, there are parts of us that don’t belong in the workplace.  Like pajamas or workout gear. 

And with that said, let’s get one thing very clear:  leggings are not pants.  Don’t make me repeat myself.

Even in a role that’s customer-facing, while you want to dress to impress, you don’t want to make your customers uncomfortable by dramatically out-dressing them.  My own rule of thumb in such situations is to look professional but relatable.

Furthermore, suits are associated with The Bad Guys.  Think Star Wars – the rebellious heroes were a mismatched, ragtag bunch who saved their galaxy while dressed in comfy looking loungewear and orange jumpsuits.  Luke Skywalker basically wore a robe, leggings, and Ugg boots.  The evil storm troopers were strictly regimented and were outfitted in identical molded plastic with heavy, face-covering helmets.  Their uniforms erased their individuality, their creativity and their freedom.  Their leader wore a cape for goodness sake.  While both good guys and bad guys wear them (I mean, Superman, right?), there’s no such thing as a casual cape.

You know who else wears suits?  Lawyers and politicians, that’s who.  I don’t think I need to say anything more about that.

So relax, get comfortable, enjoy the freedom of a casual dress code, and get your work done.  And if you have any questions, let me know.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have a confession to make:  I was never particularly into the quality of sound.  My oldest brother would get into my car and he would almost immediately make a scrunchy face and fiddle with the radio.  Then he would look at me triumphantly.  “There!  Isn’t that better?” He would ask, although it wasn’t a question; it was a declaration of success.  I would agree enthusiastically, although, truth be told, even if I noticed, I didn’t really care. That’s what I mean – it never mattered to me.  It didn’t matter to me to the point that I didn’t even notice.  The melody of music?  Sure.  The poetry?  Heck yeah.  Does it have a good beat and I can dance to it?  Awesome.  But the highs, the bass, the reverb?  Whatever.  A little static?  Who cares?  Quality wasn’t on my mind. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good gadget – laptop, tablet, fitness watch, smart phone – woohoo!  These modern toys are as exciting to play with as a new Barbie doll used to be.  But I was perfectly content t

How I Focus

I recently read about a self-help guru trying to quiet his mind enough to find sleep and it got me thinking about my own train of thought, which goes something like this:  I need to pull yesterday’s numbers so I can update that spreadsheet.  What happened yesterday?  The kids had a snow day.  Did John remember his lunch this morning?  What do I need at the grocery store? What’s going on this weekend?  How many days left until my birthday?  Ugh, so old!  I’m going to check LinkedIn and Twitter to do some research, find inspiration, write an article.  Why am I so tired? Focusing is hard! The open office environment that so encourages collaboration and team-building also creates intrusive ambient noise.  If you’re anything like me, this is disruptively distracting.  The technology we’re surrounded by and actively embrace forces multi-tasking in everything we do, not just at work.  We check email while watching TV, make phone calls while driving, consult Google in the middle of di

18,250 Days Old

 For years, I thought I would lose it on this day.  That I would crawl under a rock, curl up in a ball, and sob pathetically while contemplating my imminent mortality and current irrelevance.  It’s an option.  But I chose a different one. Today I turn 50, and I’ve spent the last year thinking about how I can be a better person, what it would take to achieve those goals, and working hard to get there. One year after I made that decision, I am so proud of myself and can honestly say I’m a happier person than I was a year ago. I joined a gym, got strong (relatively), changed my diet, and lost weight. I visited my family on the other side of the country (an expensive trip that I didn’t think I could afford). I found a new job that is rewarding, challenging, makes me feel like I make a valuable contribution, and gives me back an important piece of my life that I haven’t had in a long time.  Most importantly, I opened myself up to new experiences.  I stopped telling myself