Skip to main content

The One Thing

I know – Thanksgiving was a month ago.  But this has been a pretty crappy year in a lot of ways (devastating floods, unstoppable wildfires, sexual assault revelations, starving polar bears, frightening politics), so I decided to wrap up 2017 with some gratitude.

A multitude of research tells us that gratitude is good for both your emotional and intellectual well-being, and I’m a believer.  But rather than going into the scientific evidence and anecdotal proof, today I just want to talk about the things in my life that make me happy. 

It’s so easy to get swept up in the negative.  I don't know about you, but I never wake up in the middle of the night and starts obsessing about everything I did right the day before (or week, month, year, lifetime before.  It’s fine, I’m fine, let’s move on). 

So let’s talk about what makes me grateful. 

My kids.  First and foremost, they’re awesome.  It’s true.  You probably think I’m bragging, and believe me, I am. Still, if you met them, you would agree with me.  They’re healthy, smart, funny, thoughtful, enlightened, generous, beautiful, and just plain amazing human beings.  I am unbelievably fortunate to be their mom.

My marriage.  My husband is a good man.  He, like my kids, is smart, funny, healthy, and so on.  He takes good care of me, from making sure I take my vitamins to cleaning the snow off my car so that I don’t have to.  He’s unfailingly supportive and patient.  And after all these years, he’s still my best friend.  Also, as you can see, he is one hell of a photographer.  

  
My extended family.  My parents and brothers may live on the other side of the country, but I am so lucky that they are the kind of people that they are.  People that I can stay close to and connect with no matter what physical distance lies between us.  Even though we aren’t geographically close, it’s remarkably comforting to know that I have them in my life.

My friends.  I’m thankful for this small but critical group of amazing people that I have the opportunity to call friends.

My job. Every day I go to work at an office that’s only a fifteen minute commute from my home.  My job is interesting, challenging, and fun.  I have health benefits, plenty of paid time off, co-workers I trust and like, a boss who genuinely cares about his team, and a manager who has my back.

My health.  After kind of a rough year physically in 2016, I have been pleasantly healthy in 2017, with nothing worse than a couple of minor colds that I deftly drove into quick submission.

My cell phone.  I don’t intend to be trivial here, but my phone is awesome.  The latest update allows me to insert Star Wars characters into photos via augmented reality.  It is soooo cool.  I mean, look at this - that’s my desk! 


Even if your phone isn’t as cool as mine (and unless you have a Pixel, it probably isn’t), I’ll bet it still has some mind-blowing features.  We carry tiny little super computers around in our pockets these days.  Beat that.

I’m also grateful for (in no particular order) central heat, AC, indoor plumbing, refrigeration, long hot showers, gym membership reimbursement from my health insurance, chocolate, Snapchat filters that make me feel pretty, independent movie theaters, my Prius’ gas mileage, first responders, libraries, well-stocked grocery stores, ice, caffeine, and red lipstick.

The thing about gratitude is that once you adopt the mindset, you’ll feel better.  Your overall outlook will improve, you’ll sleep better, you’ll have more energy, you’ll be more resilient, and you’ll have higher self-esteem.  It effects how people feel about you, too.  They’ll confide in you, trust you, and collaborate with you more when you have a positive attitude.  Attitudes are contagious, too, so your improved mood will spread. 

So while you're reviewing how your 2017 went and planning for 2018, there's one thing you can do that I guarantee will make you feel better:  gratitude.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have a confession to make:  I was never particularly into the quality of sound.  My oldest brother would get into my car and he would almost immediately make a scrunchy face and fiddle with the radio.  Then he would look at me triumphantly.  “There!  Isn’t that better?” He would ask, although it wasn’t a question; it was a declaration of success.  I would agree enthusiastically, although, truth be told, even if I noticed, I didn’t really care. That’s what I mean – it never mattered to me.  It didn’t matter to me to the point that I didn’t even notice.  The melody of music?  Sure.  The poetry?  Heck yeah.  Does it have a good beat and I can dance to it?  Awesome.  But the highs, the bass, the reverb?  Whatever.  A little static?  Who cares?  Quality wasn’t on my mind. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good gadget – laptop, tablet, fitness watch, smart phone – woohoo!  These modern toys are as exciting to play with as a new Barbie doll used to be.  But I was perfectly content t

How I Focus

I recently read about a self-help guru trying to quiet his mind enough to find sleep and it got me thinking about my own train of thought, which goes something like this:  I need to pull yesterday’s numbers so I can update that spreadsheet.  What happened yesterday?  The kids had a snow day.  Did John remember his lunch this morning?  What do I need at the grocery store? What’s going on this weekend?  How many days left until my birthday?  Ugh, so old!  I’m going to check LinkedIn and Twitter to do some research, find inspiration, write an article.  Why am I so tired? Focusing is hard! The open office environment that so encourages collaboration and team-building also creates intrusive ambient noise.  If you’re anything like me, this is disruptively distracting.  The technology we’re surrounded by and actively embrace forces multi-tasking in everything we do, not just at work.  We check email while watching TV, make phone calls while driving, consult Google in the middle of di

18,250 Days Old

 For years, I thought I would lose it on this day.  That I would crawl under a rock, curl up in a ball, and sob pathetically while contemplating my imminent mortality and current irrelevance.  It’s an option.  But I chose a different one. Today I turn 50, and I’ve spent the last year thinking about how I can be a better person, what it would take to achieve those goals, and working hard to get there. One year after I made that decision, I am so proud of myself and can honestly say I’m a happier person than I was a year ago. I joined a gym, got strong (relatively), changed my diet, and lost weight. I visited my family on the other side of the country (an expensive trip that I didn’t think I could afford). I found a new job that is rewarding, challenging, makes me feel like I make a valuable contribution, and gives me back an important piece of my life that I haven’t had in a long time.  Most importantly, I opened myself up to new experiences.  I stopped telling myself