Skip to main content

Why I Love Spreadsheets


I love spreadsheets



One caveat:  by spreadsheets, I mean Excel.  It’s the only one I’ve ever used aside from Google Sheets.  Sheets is great because it’s free and cloud based, so I can access it from any device, any time, but let’s face it, Sheets is definitely Excel’s ugly stepsister.

If I haven’t previously emphasized sufficiently what a huge geeky nerd I am, today’s blog is here to seal the deal.


I was recently helping a sales rep with a large, complex order, and I asked him if he had a spreadsheet to keep all his data straight.  He didn’t.  Can you believe it? Secretly (OK, not so secretly, shut up), I was pleased, because it meant I got to build the spreadsheet from scratch.  Woo-hoo.  And I was generous with that thing, let me tell you, I felt like Oprah:  “you get a copy, and you get a copy …” you know the drill.  When a similar order came in for the same customer a few months later, you better believe I whipped that thing out without hesitation.  Just to toot my own horn a tiny bit, it was a helpful tool for all sides of the deal, as spreadsheets tend to be.

Spreadsheets aren’t just for business.  Like SpongeBob quotes and Trump insults, there is just about one for every occasion. I have a spreadsheet for my groceries, my workout plan, my family’s schedule, and, one of my favorites, Thanksgiving dinner.  Don’t make the mistake of underestimating the power of a spreadsheet.

Why am I so enamored?  Allow me to elaborate:

I don’t have to do any math.  Excel does all my math for me.  Granted, I do have to let it know what math I want it to do, so it’s limited to my understanding of math (which is a pretty restrictive limitation).  But I have mountains of respect for the fact that the more math I understand, the more potential Excel has.

Grids - I need lists to keep track of anything, but sometimes a list on its own is insufficient for keeping me organized.  Put the information in a grid, though, with column and row labels and suddenly I am Organization Woman.  Much like Wonder Woman, but with more clothes and less need for bullet proof jewelry.  Throw in subtotals, totals, averages, filters, and sorting options and I become downright unstoppable.  Don’t doubt it.

Charts – care for a graphic illustration to make your data more user-friendly?  Excel has got your back.  Pie charts, lines, area, dots, a third axis, a 3-D view, data labels, call-outs.  Well, I mean, what do you need?  The options are both mind-boggling and enormously satisfying.

Pivot Tables – I was once asked in a job interview if I had ever worked with pivot tables, and I’m pretty sure the interviewer could hear me blink from across the room.  As soon as I got home, I looked up pivot tables, and let me tell you, dear reader, I did NOT understand them.  One day recently, though, I was playing with a spreadsheet that was giving me formatting problems because I had so much data that I needed to compile.  I was trying everything, so I threw a pivot table into the pot.  Eureka.  The pivot table was exactly what I needed, and my love for spreadsheets, already so effusive, grew even more that day. 



Formatting – to say that the formatting options are plentiful is an understatement.  Anyone has the ability to make their spreadsheet look like a professional presentation with just a few easy auto design clicks. 

Clearly I’m no mathematician or scientist, so for a puny layperson like myself, the potential of Excel’s spreadsheets are infinite.  I’ve almost always got one open on my desktop, and refer to them all day long for historical data, marketing trends, sales goals, and, of course, groceries.  Like the Fibonacci sequence, there is a beauty to order and structure, and for me, I find comfort in keeping my thoughts, my business, and my life organized.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What motivates you?

My intention for this post was to wax rhapsodic about the motivational powers of music.  I would then elaborate on this theory by talking about the scientific evidence that our brains tell our hearts to beat at the same tempo as the music we’re listening to.  So for a really effective workout, we should listen to upbeat (120-130 bpm) music, whereas for concentration, we should listen to music that calms and focuses (about 60 bpm).  At this point I would segue brilliantly into the superior quality of Plantronics headsets that maximize the delivery of the right music for the occasion.  Finally, I would effectively come full circle and encourage you to turn up the music and get to work. I got distracted, though.  I polled co-workers, friends and family to see if I could find a common thread for motivation.  The answers ranged from the obvious (cash, survival), to the inspirational (excellence, curiosity), to the amusing (looking for lost keys, pickled bee...

Words of Wisdom, From Me to You

I tend to mother people.  I know this about myself, and I’m not going to apologize for it.  This isn’t a habit I developed when I became a mom - I’ve been this way for as long as I can remember.  In the spirit of consistency, here are the motherisms I’m most likely to pass on to my children, or anyone else who might be within hearing distance of my nagging  nurturing.  Choose citrus that feels heavy for its size.  It will be fresher and juicier than the lightweight pieces. Always drive as if everyone else on the road is an imbecile, drunk, and/or texting. Red lipstick is a commitment.  Don’t wear it unless you mean it. Be nice to almost everyone, but don’t waste your time on those that don’t deserve your kindness. Embrace who you are, what you think and feel.  Don’t let anyone belittle you for being yourself, and don’t let anyone tell you who to be, not even the internet.  Let joy in.  It’s everywhere, but you ha...

The New Plantronics Voyager 8200 UC

When kids feel slighted or jealous, they’re likely to accuse their parents of favoritism.  I’ve let my children know, from the get-go, that I probably do have a favorite, but don’t panic.  My bias is fluid and easily won.  This is a carefully thought-out and tested philosophy intended to keep the young’uns on their toes and kissing up, which is right where I like them.  Now that I have access to the latest and greatest Plantronics’ offerings, it turns out that my choice of headsets can also be swayed.  But I’ve never denied being fickle. Not long ago, I waxed rhapsodic about the Voyager Focus, its superior noise cancelling, comfort, and the way it helped me concentrate and get work done.  Recently, though, I started using the new Voyager 8200 UC, and, well, be still my beating heart. The 8200 is Plantronics’ latest offering in the Bluetooth enterprise headset market.  It’s modeled on the amazing BackBeat Pro 2, and looks more like a cons...