Skip to main content

How to Prospect for New Customers

Sales are slow and competition is fierce.  I don’t have to tell you what a serious problem this is.  So what are you going to do about it?  It seems obvious, but my own observation indicates that it needs to be said:  you can’t conduct business as usual and expect different results.

First and foremost, be prepared to make some calls.  We all know that no one uses the phone as much as we used to, but if calling isn’t your thing, neither is sales.

Identify who your customer is within an organization – what division/role (IT? Logistics? Operations?) needs what you sell?  Make it your mission to find the contact information for that person.

Do your research.  Be the expert in your business, your products and your industry.

Be a problem solver.  If you think of yourself as a salesperson, you’re subconsciously passing along the message that you’re pushy.  Decision makers are busy and don’t really want to deal with salespeople.  But someone who can lighten their load?  Someone who understands their pain and can provide relief?  They’ll make time for that person.

Take good care of the customers you already have.  Be genuine and be grateful for their business.  When they understand what a reliable, useful resource you are, they’re more likely to come to you for advice (which will translate to sales) in the future.  They’re also more likely to pass along referrals.

Ask questions.  Find out as much as you can about your customer.  What is their work style?  How successful is their business?  How established?  What do you have in common?  What does your customer know that you don’t, but would like to?  What are her obstacles?  How can you contribute to her success?

Listen.  A first phone call should be more about what you can learn than information you can impart.  You don’t want to simply throw a bucket of facts at a prospective customer and hope something sticks. 

Network.  Utilize social media on a professional level (keep your personal accounts separate).  Get your (and your company’s) name out there, join groups that focus on your niche.  Include in your profile what you sell.  Consider forming a personal mission statement, something along the lines of, “Dedicated to delivering [insert product/service here] solutions that make a positive impact on your business.”  Share relevant posts and articles that others have posted.  You’ll learn a lot, make valuable connections, and find sources for prospecting.

When you have to leave a voicemail, give your prospect a reason to call you back. “I came across a piece of research that I think you’d find interesting.”  “I just learned a great time-saving hack I’d like to share with you.”  “There’s a new product I’m really excited to tell you about.”  Caution:  avoid sounding like click-bait!

Use the same tactic with emails.  If you’ve called a few times, and haven’t made contact, send an email with a tantalizing subject line:  “Congratulations on your new acquisition of  ...” or “Did you see this?” or “I have an idea for you.”  Do NOT say, “Just checking in.”  Before you start deleting messages from your own email, read through the subject lines and note what catches your eye and what doesn’t. 

Be prepared, but don’t rely on a script.  A savvy customer can spot a rote script instantly.  But do have a list of talking points before you make your call.  Include what your goal is for a first connection, so you don’t get off-topic.  Don’t expect to close a sale or even get a request for a quote out of this initial contact.  Start by making connections and building relationships.

Don’t be concerned with silences that may seem uncomfortable.  The customer is likely to be tempted to fill the void with useful information.

Figure out what makes your company/product/service stand out.  Is it your customer support?  Your proprietary technology? You? 

Don’t sell yourself short.  Doggone it, you’re good at your job, people like you, and customers will benefit from your expertise. 

Get yourself a mentor.  Figure out who on the team is having success with prospecting.  Ask for advice, listen in on one of their phone calls, ask them to listen in on one of yours.  Then commit to putting their advice into practice for one full day, even if it means going outside your comfort zone. 

Expand your network.  If your customer base consists of a small, highly specialized cohort, you can’t rely on selling to the same group forever. 

Relax.  There’s a certain morning talk show host I find compelling.  She makes every guest and audience member feel like they’re her friend and confidante, and the two of them are just chatting over a cup of coffee.  Consider how you talk to your friends vs. how you talk to your customers. 

Take some time to understand your own obstacles.  What do you struggle with?  Is it finding the right contact, getting through to a prospect, scheduling a meeting, closing a deal?  If you have multiple stumbling blocks, pick one at a time, focus on it, and come at it from a completely different angle. 

Don’t know where to begin
  • If you have an established territory, Google new businesses in that area or that niche.  Look for companies that are growing or moving. 
  • Network with commercial real estate brokers and ask them if they ever make product or service recommendations to their customers.  Offer them free or discounted product when they give you a successful referral.
  • Find other companies that are similar to, or at least have something in common with, those with whom you’re already successful.  
  • Ask your current customers for referrals and recommendations.



Sales is a tough business, and as the retail landscape continues to change, it keeps getting tougher.  But you’re tough, too, which is why you’ve had success in the past.  The tactics that are familiar to you, though, probably don’t work anymore.  When was the last time an Avon Lady rang your doorbell?  It’s up to you to make the adjustments necessary to stay in the game. You need to instigate your own change, solve your own problems.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have a confession to make:  I was never particularly into the quality of sound.  My oldest brother would get into my car and he would almost immediately make a scrunchy face and fiddle with the radio.  Then he would look at me triumphantly.  “There!  Isn’t that better?” He would ask, although it wasn’t a question; it was a declaration of success.  I would agree enthusiastically, although, truth be told, even if I noticed, I didn’t really care. That’s what I mean – it never mattered to me.  It didn’t matter to me to the point that I didn’t even notice.  The melody of music?  Sure.  The poetry?  Heck yeah.  Does it have a good beat and I can dance to it?  Awesome.  But the highs, the bass, the reverb?  Whatever.  A little static?  Who cares?  Quality wasn’t on my mind. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good gadget – laptop, tablet, fitness watch, smart phone – woohoo!  These modern toys are as exciting to play with as a new Barbie doll used to be.  But I was perfectly content t

How I Focus

I recently read about a self-help guru trying to quiet his mind enough to find sleep and it got me thinking about my own train of thought, which goes something like this:  I need to pull yesterday’s numbers so I can update that spreadsheet.  What happened yesterday?  The kids had a snow day.  Did John remember his lunch this morning?  What do I need at the grocery store? What’s going on this weekend?  How many days left until my birthday?  Ugh, so old!  I’m going to check LinkedIn and Twitter to do some research, find inspiration, write an article.  Why am I so tired? Focusing is hard! The open office environment that so encourages collaboration and team-building also creates intrusive ambient noise.  If you’re anything like me, this is disruptively distracting.  The technology we’re surrounded by and actively embrace forces multi-tasking in everything we do, not just at work.  We check email while watching TV, make phone calls while driving, consult Google in the middle of di

18,250 Days Old

 For years, I thought I would lose it on this day.  That I would crawl under a rock, curl up in a ball, and sob pathetically while contemplating my imminent mortality and current irrelevance.  It’s an option.  But I chose a different one. Today I turn 50, and I’ve spent the last year thinking about how I can be a better person, what it would take to achieve those goals, and working hard to get there. One year after I made that decision, I am so proud of myself and can honestly say I’m a happier person than I was a year ago. I joined a gym, got strong (relatively), changed my diet, and lost weight. I visited my family on the other side of the country (an expensive trip that I didn’t think I could afford). I found a new job that is rewarding, challenging, makes me feel like I make a valuable contribution, and gives me back an important piece of my life that I haven’t had in a long time.  Most importantly, I opened myself up to new experiences.  I stopped telling myself