Skip to main content

Great headphones, amazing price

I’m a working mom.  If you’re unfamiliar with the species, I won’t bore you with a detailed list of how busy that makes me, but I’ll bet you can imagine it just the same.  Peacefully immersing myself in music is a luxury.  So when I do have the chance, I want it to count.  But being a working mom also means I’m on a budget, and so have to be careful what that indulgence costs. Enter the upstart BackBeat 500.  In a word, “wow.”

The 500 is a lower-priced Bluetooth headset that rivals the quality of high-end models.  At $79.99, you won’t find wireless headphones at a better price with better sound (note:  there is an included wire to give you the option of connecting via a 3.5mm jack).

According to NPD Group, in the first half of 2016 the overall headphone category saw a 7% growth rate in year-over-year sales, while cordless headset sales grew by 42% in the same time period.  With Apple leading the way for the cell phone industry to eliminate headphone jacks, and the advances in listening technology, sales of Bluetooth headsets are going to continue to increase, in spite of the availability of improved features at lower price points.  In my book, wireless is always more comfortable and convenient – as a woman, I rarely have pockets, and if putting my phone down means a wire, that's going to seriously limit me getting my groove on.

Here’s what you get with a BackBeat 500:

Great ergonomics - with intuitive controls and big buttons that are easy to find and easy to use.  On the right ear cup, you have an on/off/pairing switch, along with a button for answering calls, re-dialing (cool double-click feature), and connecting with your phone’s digital assistant.  On the left ear cup, there is a play/pause, skip, repeat button and a volume toggle, as well as the ports for charging and wired connection.  The headband is solidly adjustable, so both someone with a  big bobble head (name withheld to protect the innocent), and myself with my puny pinhead, can wear them comfortably.

Remarkable comfort - I wear glasses, and all headphones hurt eventually, pressing the arm of my glasses against my ear.  At less than six ounces, I can comfortably wear this lightweight set far longer than any others I’ve tried. 

Sound quality – this where I feel like I’m spoiling myself.  With these headphones, I can really hear the fine nuances of the music.  I’ve read some reviews that knocked the quality of the bass, but in my own testing, I found the bass to be completely satisfying, rich and clear. Even without an active noise cancelling feature, the soft, leatherette-covered memory foam ear cups muffled surrounding sounds to the point that I was able to lose myself completely in my music.  The 500 also doesn’t include sensors that pause and resume music when you take it off and put it on.  These technologies would raise the cost of the headset, and while they are pretty nifty features, I’m comfortable trading them in for a lower price.

There are plenty of higher-end, more feature-packed devices available if you want only the best and are ready to pay for it.  But for the money, the Plantronics BackBeat 500 is an entry-level headset that delivers far beyond what you pay for it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have a confession to make:  I was never particularly into the quality of sound.  My oldest brother would get into my car and he would almost immediately make a scrunchy face and fiddle with the radio.  Then he would look at me triumphantly.  “There!  Isn’t that better?” He would ask, although it wasn’t a question; it was a declaration of success.  I would agree enthusiastically, although, truth be told, even if I noticed, I didn’t really care. That’s what I mean – it never mattered to me.  It didn’t matter to me to the point that I didn’t even notice.  The melody of music?  Sure.  The poetry?  Heck yeah.  Does it have a good beat and I can dance to it?  Awesome.  But the highs, the bass, the reverb?  Whatever.  A little static?  Who cares?  Quality wasn’t on my mind. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good gadget – laptop, tablet, fitness watch, smart phone – woohoo!  These modern toys are as exciting to play with as a new Barbie doll used to be.  But I was perfectly content t

How I Focus

I recently read about a self-help guru trying to quiet his mind enough to find sleep and it got me thinking about my own train of thought, which goes something like this:  I need to pull yesterday’s numbers so I can update that spreadsheet.  What happened yesterday?  The kids had a snow day.  Did John remember his lunch this morning?  What do I need at the grocery store? What’s going on this weekend?  How many days left until my birthday?  Ugh, so old!  I’m going to check LinkedIn and Twitter to do some research, find inspiration, write an article.  Why am I so tired? Focusing is hard! The open office environment that so encourages collaboration and team-building also creates intrusive ambient noise.  If you’re anything like me, this is disruptively distracting.  The technology we’re surrounded by and actively embrace forces multi-tasking in everything we do, not just at work.  We check email while watching TV, make phone calls while driving, consult Google in the middle of di

Stuff I Wish I Could Do

Everybody has at least one thing they can do well, even me.  Still, there's a lot of stuff I wish I could do, some attainable, some not so much, some requires talent, or hard work, and some of it is about just plain luck.  Since I haven’t stumbled across a grungy old oil lamp that needs polishing, most of these wishes won’t come true.  That reality doesn’t stop me from thinking about it, though, so here’s my short list: Carry a tune.  I can sing, and I do sing, often.  But man, what I would give for it to sound good. Meet Meryl Streep.  Because I think we’d be great friends.  Which is probably what a stalker would say.  And I want to make it very, very clear that I am not a stalker and have no plans to become one. But even without the friendship thing, I still really want to meet her.  I mean, she’s Meryl Streep! Change people’s minds when they’re being stupid.  But as Forest Gump’s mama always said, “Stupid is as stupid does,” so I try to set a good example and hope