Skip to main content

Words of Wisdom, From Me to You

I tend to mother people.  I know this about myself, and I’m not going to apologize for it.  This isn’t a habit I developed when I became a mom - I’ve been this way for as long as I can remember.  In the spirit of consistency, here are the motherisms I’m most likely to pass on to my children, or anyone else who might be within hearing distance of my nagging nurturing. 

Choose citrus that feels heavy for its size.  It will be fresher and juicier than the lightweight pieces.

Always drive as if everyone else on the road is an imbecile, drunk, and/or texting.

Red lipstick is a commitment.  Don’t wear it unless you mean it.

Be nice to almost everyone, but don’t waste your time on those that don’t deserve your kindness.

Embrace who you are, what you think and feel.  Don’t let anyone belittle you for being yourself, and don’t let anyone tell you who to be, not even the internet. 

Let joy in.  It’s everywhere, but you have to meet it half way, at the very least.

Don’t drag your feet.  Literally or figuratively.

Show up on time, dressed appropriately, ready to participate and contribute.

Tip at least 20%.

Question authority.  But do your research.

Treat your parents the way you’d like your kids to treat you.  And treat your kids the way you wish you had been treated when you were a kid.

Listen.

Speak up – don’t mumble.

Be confident.

Take care of your health. No one is going to do it for you.

Clean your windshield.

If you see someone who needs help, help.  Hold a door, carry a package, let someone go ahead of you.  Small kindnesses reverberate and inspire.

Accept responsibility.  When you screw up, own it, learn from it, and move on.  Apologize if your screw-up effected anyone else.

It’s good to have some stamps – you know, the snail mail kind.  Even if you think you’ll never use the post office’s services again.

Have some small talk topics in your pocket – Where did you grow up? Do you have any siblings? What TV show are you loving right now?

Clean up after yourself.

Whenever possible, take the stairs. 

Even if cooking is not your thing, you should know how to make scrambled eggs, pasta, grilled cheese or whatever suits your taste.  You ought to be able feed yourself a warm, nutritious, low-cost meal.

Clean your phone.  Trust me, it’s filthy.

Accept people as they are. You have no idea what’s led up to this moment for another human being.  Or what that person might be feeling, thinking, or experiencing.

Be grateful.  Yes, absolutely, there are things in your life and in the world that suck right now.  There are also things that definitely do not. Just because it isn’t the third Thursday in November doesn’t mean you can’t give thanks.  Stop what you’re doing right now and think of three things in your life that are good.  Tomorrow, start your day that way.

Never stop learning.  Someone mentioned this to me this morning, and I was both embarrassed that I hadn’t thought of it, and grateful for the reminder.  The old cliché that you learn something new every day is only true if you’re open to it.  And if you are, you can probably even learn more than one thing every day. 

Live within your means. Before you buy something major on credit, do the math and figure out just how much that new TV will cost when you’re finished paying the interest on it.

Read the fine print. If you don’t, it’s your own danged fault.

Have fun. While putting the fine art of being an adult into practice, it’s important to remember the wonder and joy of childhood.

Finally, I’ll leave you with one last piece of advice:  listen to your mother.  Seriously, she has your best interest at heart.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have a confession to make:  I was never particularly into the quality of sound.  My oldest brother would get into my car and he would almost immediately make a scrunchy face and fiddle with the radio.  Then he would look at me triumphantly.  “There!  Isn’t that better?” He would ask, although it wasn’t a question; it was a declaration of success.  I would agree enthusiastically, although, truth be told, even if I noticed, I didn’t really care. That’s what I mean – it never mattered to me.  It didn’t matter to me to the point that I didn’t even notice.  The melody of music?  Sure.  The poetry?  Heck yeah.  Does it have a good beat and I can dance to it?  Awesome.  But the highs, the bass, the reverb?  Whatever.  A little static?  Who cares?  Quality wasn’t on my mind. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good gadget – laptop, tablet, fitness watch, smart phone – woohoo!  These modern toys are as exciting to play with as a new Barbie doll used to be.  But I was perfectly content t

How I Focus

I recently read about a self-help guru trying to quiet his mind enough to find sleep and it got me thinking about my own train of thought, which goes something like this:  I need to pull yesterday’s numbers so I can update that spreadsheet.  What happened yesterday?  The kids had a snow day.  Did John remember his lunch this morning?  What do I need at the grocery store? What’s going on this weekend?  How many days left until my birthday?  Ugh, so old!  I’m going to check LinkedIn and Twitter to do some research, find inspiration, write an article.  Why am I so tired? Focusing is hard! The open office environment that so encourages collaboration and team-building also creates intrusive ambient noise.  If you’re anything like me, this is disruptively distracting.  The technology we’re surrounded by and actively embrace forces multi-tasking in everything we do, not just at work.  We check email while watching TV, make phone calls while driving, consult Google in the middle of di

18,250 Days Old

 For years, I thought I would lose it on this day.  That I would crawl under a rock, curl up in a ball, and sob pathetically while contemplating my imminent mortality and current irrelevance.  It’s an option.  But I chose a different one. Today I turn 50, and I’ve spent the last year thinking about how I can be a better person, what it would take to achieve those goals, and working hard to get there. One year after I made that decision, I am so proud of myself and can honestly say I’m a happier person than I was a year ago. I joined a gym, got strong (relatively), changed my diet, and lost weight. I visited my family on the other side of the country (an expensive trip that I didn’t think I could afford). I found a new job that is rewarding, challenging, makes me feel like I make a valuable contribution, and gives me back an important piece of my life that I haven’t had in a long time.  Most importantly, I opened myself up to new experiences.  I stopped telling myself