Skip to main content

The Power of Feedback

If you have a Fitbit, you understand the power of feedback.  I’ve never tried any other fitness watch, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I am addicted to my Fitbit and the feedback it gives me.  It’s the rush of the little rocket ship that launches when I hit my step goal, the steps-per-hour rainbow I build when I hit my hourly goal, the exercise pentagon I piece together if I’m sufficiently active five days a week.  It doesn’t matter if I already know, intellectually, that I’ve put in the effort, I crave the tiny electronic pat on the back.  Or buzz on the wrist, if you will.

Positive or negative, I’m a big fan of feedback.  When I cook for you, I want to know what you think.  Did it need more salt?  Was it overdone?  Could it use a dash of vinegar?  Was it the best thing you ever tasted and you want more?

Is this new blouse a bad color on me?  Do I have something in my teeth?  Is my mascara running down my face?  Please, I really want to know!

At work, keep me in the loop.  Was that presentation what you were hoping it would be?  Did that spreadsheet give you the data you needed?  Am I delivering to your expectations?  Where am I falling short and what’s working?

I’m a strong believer in the value of positive reinforcement, but there’s always room for improvement, and we can’t improve if we don’t know what we’re doing wrong.  It’s not about criticism, it’s about opportunity, coaching, learning and improving.  But you have to want to improve.

That reminds me of an old joke: How many psychologists does it take to change a light bulb? Only one, but the light bulb has to really want to change.  For feedback to work, you have to be like the light bulb.   If you’re working under the assumption that you’re doing everything right, critical feedback is going to surprise you and be wasted on you.  Or maybe you just don’t care, in which case you definitely aren’t going to appreciate this kind of information.  But if you're genuinely willing to change, and you’re given specific feedback with actionable advice, you’re on the right track.

There’s a scientific explanation for why we prefer praise to criticism.  Positive feedback causes our brain to release oxytocin, which relaxes us and encourages trust and generosity, collaboration and cooperation.  Conversely, criticism triggers a release of cortisol, affectionately referred to as the stress hormone.  Cortisol makes us less resilient and more sensitive, shutting down our logical thought processes.  Its effects also last longer than oxytocin, meaning the glow of praise fades more quickly than the blow of criticism, which is why we dwell on the negative and discredit the positive.

I once had a manager tell me I was the worst admin she ever had (feel free to pause a moment here to process your shock).  I felt ambushed and devastated.  I put my heart into that job, working long hours and genuinely caring about the success of the company while feeling like I was making a valuable contribution to it.  When I later mulled (okay, obsessed) over what she said to me, I came to the conclusion that it just wasn’t true.  I met her previous admin and wasn’t impressed.  I spent a lot of time fixing work that admin had botched, and I was hearing from other co-workers that I was doing a better job, was more reliable and more competent than that my predecessor.  While ultimately I’ll never know my manager’s motivation for what she said to me, I eventually realized that her criticism didn’t matter for two reasons: 1. it wasn’t valid; and 2. it wasn’t constructive.  If she had a genuine problem with my work, it was her responsibility to tell me where I was failing and what changes she wanted to see.  The writing was on the wall, though.  Clearly, we weren’t going to work well together and I put in for a transfer to another department (where, I feel compelled to say, I excelled).  And regardless of what she said to me, I am, to this day, proud of my performance while I worked for her.

The moral of that story is, for feedback to be meaningful, it has to come from a trustworthy, credible source, and it has to include actionable advice.  My Fitbit tells me to get off my rear end and move.  I can do that.  It encourages me to eat right and get enough sleep and exercise. Check.  The critical feedback is gentle while the positive feedback is enthusiastic, just the way effective feedback ought to be.  I feel inspired to improve without feeling too bad about any setbacks.


If you’ve hit a plateau, whether it be professionally, physically, intellectually, or emotionally, seek out objective input.  Find a mentor, an expert, or just a friend you can trust to be honest.  Listen carefully, adjust accordingly, then go forth and knock ‘em dead. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have a confession to make:  I was never particularly into the quality of sound.  My oldest brother would get into my car and he would almost immediately make a scrunchy face and fiddle with the radio.  Then he would look at me triumphantly.  “There!  Isn’t that better?” He would ask, although it wasn’t a question; it was a declaration of success.  I would agree enthusiastically, although, truth be told, even if I noticed, I didn’t really care. That’s what I mean – it never mattered to me.  It didn’t matter to me to the point that I didn’t even notice.  The melody of music?  Sure.  The poetry?  Heck yeah.  Does it have a good beat and I can dance to it?  Awesome.  But the highs, the bass, the reverb?  Whatever.  A little static?  Who cares?  Quality wasn’t on my mind. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good gadget – laptop, tablet, fitness watch, smart phone – woohoo!  These modern toys are as exciting to play with as a new Barbie doll used to be.  But I was perfectly content t

How I Focus

I recently read about a self-help guru trying to quiet his mind enough to find sleep and it got me thinking about my own train of thought, which goes something like this:  I need to pull yesterday’s numbers so I can update that spreadsheet.  What happened yesterday?  The kids had a snow day.  Did John remember his lunch this morning?  What do I need at the grocery store? What’s going on this weekend?  How many days left until my birthday?  Ugh, so old!  I’m going to check LinkedIn and Twitter to do some research, find inspiration, write an article.  Why am I so tired? Focusing is hard! The open office environment that so encourages collaboration and team-building also creates intrusive ambient noise.  If you’re anything like me, this is disruptively distracting.  The technology we’re surrounded by and actively embrace forces multi-tasking in everything we do, not just at work.  We check email while watching TV, make phone calls while driving, consult Google in the middle of di

18,250 Days Old

 For years, I thought I would lose it on this day.  That I would crawl under a rock, curl up in a ball, and sob pathetically while contemplating my imminent mortality and current irrelevance.  It’s an option.  But I chose a different one. Today I turn 50, and I’ve spent the last year thinking about how I can be a better person, what it would take to achieve those goals, and working hard to get there. One year after I made that decision, I am so proud of myself and can honestly say I’m a happier person than I was a year ago. I joined a gym, got strong (relatively), changed my diet, and lost weight. I visited my family on the other side of the country (an expensive trip that I didn’t think I could afford). I found a new job that is rewarding, challenging, makes me feel like I make a valuable contribution, and gives me back an important piece of my life that I haven’t had in a long time.  Most importantly, I opened myself up to new experiences.  I stopped telling myself