Skip to main content

How I Focus

I recently read about a self-help guru trying to quiet his mind enough to find sleep and it got me thinking about my own train of thought, which goes something like this:  I need to pull yesterday’s numbers so I can update that spreadsheet.  What happened yesterday?  The kids had a snow day.  Did John remember his lunch this morning?  What do I need at the grocery store? What’s going on this weekend?  How many days left until my birthday?  Ugh, so old!  I’m going to check LinkedIn and Twitter to do some research, find inspiration, write an article.  Why am I so tired?

Focusing is hard!

The open office environment that so encourages collaboration and team-building also creates intrusive ambient noise.  If you’re anything like me, this is disruptively distracting.  The technology we’re surrounded by and actively embrace forces multi-tasking in everything we do, not just at work.  We check email while watching TV, make phone calls while driving, consult Google in the middle of dinner.  The end result is that the task at hand is short-changed, at best.   

Distractions at work not only lead to expensive lost productivity, but also cause stress and fatigue.  And because only ninjas and mimes work silently, I’m just setting myself up for frustration if the sounds of my co-workers doing their jobs keeps me from doing mine.

Enter the aptly named Voyager Focus from Plantronics.  The superior active and passive noise cancelling gives me a bubble of peace so my work gets my attention.  And though I’m not wearing a headset while driving or eating dinner, I do spend the day with it at work, and I firmly believe it increases my productivity.

There’s so much to love about this headset – it’s light and comfortable, eliminating discomfort and fatigue.  The multi-connectivity means I can easily switch from my PC to my mobile phone to my tablet (again with the short attention span).  The construction, cutting-edge technology and high-quality components means I’m not going to worry about having to replace it any time soon.  And of course, the sound quality is enormously satisfying.

Here at Hello Direct, I work with a lot of headset geeks and the Voyager Focus gets great feedback. I’ll lend mine out on occasion, because I truly want everyone to experience it, but no way am I giving it up – get your own!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I have a confession to make:  I was never particularly into the quality of sound.  My oldest brother would get into my car and he would almost immediately make a scrunchy face and fiddle with the radio.  Then he would look at me triumphantly.  “There!  Isn’t that better?” He would ask, although it wasn’t a question; it was a declaration of success.  I would agree enthusiastically, although, truth be told, even if I noticed, I didn’t really care. That’s what I mean – it never mattered to me.  It didn’t matter to me to the point that I didn’t even notice.  The melody of music?  Sure.  The poetry?  Heck yeah.  Does it have a good beat and I can dance to it?  Awesome.  But the highs, the bass, the reverb?  Whatever.  A little static?  Who cares?  Quality wasn’t on my mind. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good gadget – laptop, tablet, fitness watch, smart phone – woohoo!  These modern toys are as exciting to play with as a new Barbie doll used to be.  But I was perfectly content t

Stuff I Wish I Could Do

Everybody has at least one thing they can do well, even me.  Still, there's a lot of stuff I wish I could do, some attainable, some not so much, some requires talent, or hard work, and some of it is about just plain luck.  Since I haven’t stumbled across a grungy old oil lamp that needs polishing, most of these wishes won’t come true.  That reality doesn’t stop me from thinking about it, though, so here’s my short list: Carry a tune.  I can sing, and I do sing, often.  But man, what I would give for it to sound good. Meet Meryl Streep.  Because I think we’d be great friends.  Which is probably what a stalker would say.  And I want to make it very, very clear that I am not a stalker and have no plans to become one. But even without the friendship thing, I still really want to meet her.  I mean, she’s Meryl Streep! Change people’s minds when they’re being stupid.  But as Forest Gump’s mama always said, “Stupid is as stupid does,” so I try to set a good example and hope